Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Stuck Rotor on Tapered Shaft

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
On another project here - after letting the sucker soak in solvent -
you might try heating the part that needs removing (like with a
propane torch). The theory is that the metal will expand...

Yep, put the whole thing in the freezer overnight, then heat up the
(sacrificial) bearing quickly with a torch and whack the shaft.

Jon

I'm afraid my freezer isn't quite big enough for a generator, even if it is
a rather small one ;-) Maybe I'll just wait til winter.

I thought about using a torch but I think I'll have to make a hole in the
case in order to get the flame in there. I also wanted to see how the
impeller (cooling fan) was attached so I didn't want to destroy it if I
could help it. Might have to though.