Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Stuck Rotor on Tapered Shaft

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ulysses wrote:

I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300

single
phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that holds it on

was
over-tight and it took some care to remove it without breaking it.

Anyone
have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor? I've tried

tapping,
pulling and even some whacking but I'm afraid if I hit it any harder I'm
gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried using a puller on the bearing at the

end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several
rotors on tapered shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came

off
eventually.

Any way to get a "pickle fork" type of wedge between a step on the shaft
and the rotor? How about applying some of the magic Kroil and letting it
work its way in for a day or two?

Kroil? That one is new to me. I managed to get some WD40 in there, have
tension on it with a 3-jaw puller pulling against the screw, left it like
that all night tilted toward the trouble area, tried whacking it with the
tension from the puller...

I really can't pry behind this particular rotor due to the way the case is
designed. I did try though.