Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default exterior stair replacement

"sluggo" wrote

I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

Humm, main reason they rotted probably. I suspect the concrete was poured
after the posts and stringer were in place and took a shortcut.

http://shmish.smugmug.com/photos/507614952_wC8ik-M.jpg

I'm looking for ideas on how I should deal with the concrete. Do I
somehow try to chisel out the wood so I can set the new wood in fresh
concrete? Cut the wood level with the concrete, set the new wood on the
top surface, and build forms for a small concrete footing around the wood,
or???

The wood needs to be raised above the concrete and all water levels. It's
hard to tell for sure but with all that brick and what looks like poured
cement, it seems you have a wet yard and that was there to address it?

I'm interested in what others have to say here. I'd personally chisel out
the wood from the cement and fill it with new (with lifts to hold the
staircase and removal of rotted part) then raise the cement as needed. I
take it just the bottom of the stringer has a problem and not a high
distance, just a few inches?