Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exterior stair replacement

Hi,
I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

http://shmish.smugmug.com/photos/507614952_wC8ik-M.jpg

I'm looking for ideas on how I should deal with the concrete. Do I
somehow try to chisel out the wood so I can set the new wood in fresh
concrete? Cut the wood level with the concrete, set the new wood on the
top surface, and build forms for a small concrete footing around the
wood, or???

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:59�am, sluggo wrote:
Hi,
I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. �The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

http://shmish.smugmug.com/photos/507614952_wC8ik-M.jpg

I'm looking for ideas on how I should deal with the concrete. �Do I
somehow try to chisel out the wood so I can set the new wood in fresh
concrete? �Cut the wood level with the concrete, set the new wood on the
top surface, and build forms for a small concrete footing around the
wood, or???

thanks

I would cut the wood off, and if possible remove but use joist tye
hangers to both the new stringers to the concrete.

Wood encased in concrete is guaranteed rot
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sluggo" wrote

I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

Humm, main reason they rotted probably. I suspect the concrete was poured
after the posts and stringer were in place and took a shortcut.

http://shmish.smugmug.com/photos/507614952_wC8ik-M.jpg

I'm looking for ideas on how I should deal with the concrete. Do I
somehow try to chisel out the wood so I can set the new wood in fresh
concrete? Cut the wood level with the concrete, set the new wood on the
top surface, and build forms for a small concrete footing around the wood,
or???

The wood needs to be raised above the concrete and all water levels. It's
hard to tell for sure but with all that brick and what looks like poured
cement, it seems you have a wet yard and that was there to address it?

I'm interested in what others have to say here. I'd personally chisel out
the wood from the cement and fill it with new (with lifts to hold the
staircase and removal of rotted part) then raise the cement as needed. I
take it just the bottom of the stringer has a problem and not a high
distance, just a few inches?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"sluggo" wrote

[...]

Yeah, if only the bottom is rotted, you can fake it. Time to poke all
over with an icepick, and see where rot stops and solid wood starts.
Clip it off flush, dig out the embedded wood, and use the holes and some
patching concrete to install anchor bolts for the proper aluminum
standoffs (Simpson or similar). Impossible to give better advice without
seeing it in person- a lot depends on how steps were framed. Sometimes
it is easier and almost as cheap to just tear it all out and build it
back the right way. Builder was a slob- you never trap wood in
concrete, other than maybe expendable fence posts, and even then you
rest them on gravel, so the water has somewhere to go.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"sluggo" wrote

I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

Yeah, if only the bottom is rotted, you can fake it. Time to poke all

Cant tell from the pic.

over with an icepick, and see where rot stops and solid wood starts. Clip
it off flush, dig out the embedded wood, and use the holes and some
patching concrete to install anchor bolts for the proper aluminum
standoffs (Simpson or similar). Impossible to give better advice without

Agreed. It's hard to do this one without a rebuild unless the depth of
damage is minimal. I worry the mid-supports are going too at the base?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 10:59*am, sluggo wrote:
Hi,
I need to replace the stairs to my back deck because the stringers are
rotting. *The existing stringers are embedded into a small concrete pad,
and mid-supports are also placed in a small concrete pad.

http://shmish.smugmug.com/photos/507614952_wC8ik-M.jpg

I'm looking for ideas on how I should deal with the concrete. *Do I
somehow try to chisel out the wood so I can set the new wood in fresh
concrete? *Cut the wood level with the concrete, set the new wood on the
top surface, and build forms for a small concrete footing around the
wood, or???

thanks

How are the supports for the deck itself????