Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Homemade peanut butter

Many thanks, Dan!

saved

Dan Musicant wrote:
Sure. Ingredients:

60 ounces raw peanuts
1 teaspoon salt

Lately, I make enough to fill two 28 oz. jars, so I use around 60
ounces of raw peanuts. Yesterday I bought almost 20 lb., raw peanuts
in bulk at my local Chinatown for $0.99/lb.

I place 30 oz. of raw peanuts on a large flat aluminum cookie sheet
that I've had for many years, and 30 oz. is as full as it will get
with the nuts as close together as can be without being double
stacked. I place this in a cold gas oven and then set the thermostat
to 350. I set my digital timer for 30 minutes and when it goes off I
turn off the oven but leave the nuts in there for part of the cool-
down (this method takes a little longer, but it saves on gas). After
the oven is below 250 it's OK to remove the sheet. I do this twice to
get 60 oz. of roasted peanuts (a similar if not identical process can
be used to roast almonds).

I was filling the blender container with 1/2 the nuts (30 oz.), along
with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Salt to taste, but that's about the
amount that I prefer.

I blend until smooth. I use a pestle from a mortar and pestle (I made
the pestle some years ago from a cylindrical stick, but you could use
a spoon, certainly) to push down the nuts for the first part of the
grinding process, afterward stopping the motor occasionally and mixing
and pushing down unground nuts with a butter knife (ordinary table
knife). After a while the nut butter will actually swirl around in the
container by itself. Remove with plastic spatula to a large mixing
bowl from which I transfer into bottles. I keep one in the
refrigerator, the other unrefrigerated for use.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net