Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Bondo vs Latex Putty?

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
On Jun 25, 5:42 pm, fftt wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:04 pm, ransley wrote:

On Jun 25, 3:11 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some
windows. I already have some latex exterior putty which I can
build up in layers. The areas in question are about as wide as a
pencil and maybe twice that deep. I've heard that some people use
Bondo for these situations. Is there a good reason to prefer that
product?

Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk. Bondo the 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondo is a polyester resin NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive than Bondo.

For interior repairs, Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondo is "ok"
except for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob

I have some French doors where a dog scratched pretty deep into the
wood that surrounds the glass panels.

Would your recommendations work for that if I build it up in layers?

You don't need layers with either polyester or epoxy "putties". Best to
overfill slightly and cut off most of excess with a chisel after it has set
but still not really hard. Sand smooth when fully cured. OR - just over
fill and sand flush.

The nice thing about Bondo (polyester putty) is that you can control the set
time to a degree. Even setting slowly it is *much* faster (minutes) than
epoxies (overnight); additionally, it doesn't blush amines like epoxy nor
does it degrade under UV like epoxy.

With either, you need to *thoroughly* mix the resin with the catalyst. With
Bondo, the colored "cream" hardners are easier to use than liquid as the
color tells you visually how well they are mixed.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...