Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jason4225@yahoo.com is offline

Default Bondo vs Latex Putty?

On Jun 26, 7:51*am, Bob Villa wrote:
Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk.Bondothe 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondois a polyester resin *NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive thanBondo.

For interior repairs,Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondois "ok" except
for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood *from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob

I thoughtbondowas a type of epoxy since its two part, wontbondo
painted last a super long-long time

Just because there is a hardener...doesn't necessarily make it an
epoxy.
(although, I am not a chemist)- Hide quoted text -

". . .(although, I am not a chemst). . ."

I am. Bondo is an unsaturated polyester resin which "sets" through
the action of a peroxide hardener.

Misc stuff: -Reduce the peroxide level to slow the cure down and
give more working time. Test your ratio, too little peroxide may
not produce a complete cure.

-Good epoxy beats good polyester when exposed to
weather. However, in this application, the wood will go first.
You must measure the two parts correctly. Proportioning errors can
produce degraded epoxy.

-Good epoxy costs more and can cause allergic
reactions.

-I used painted Bondo ifor a rotted wood repair
at my daughter's house in Tampa. Looks good after 4 years.

-Jason