Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Panasonic upright cleaner now back in business! Next, the Hoover PurePower

On 26 Jun 2009 14:29:41 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
MM writes:
I've fitted the new thermal fuse and bingo! It works again. Now for
the Hoover PurePower 1900w.

However, the cut-out on the Hoover is different in that the thing cuts
out, then you leave it for two to three minutes and it will start
again. The time until cut-out gets shorter and shorter.

The Panasonic's fuse OTOH was a one-time "blow", never to work again,
which figured, as it gave no warning at all when it stopped working.

The thermal fuses tripping are normally symptoms of another problem.
Did you identify what the original problem was?

Not until I dismantled the motor and housing. The impeller part of the
motor (inside the big round mounting boss) was stuffed full of carpet
fluff. I had to use tweezers to prise some of it out.

However, after a thorough clean and reassembly, the cutting out still
occurs.

So, my question, before I start dismantling the Hoover: will the
thermal fuse look similar to the Panaonic's e.g. one of these:
http://images.asia.ru/img/alibaba/ph...ermal_fuse.jpg

No.

Might look like
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42419936.jpg
but there are other styles.

Having now dismantled the machine I have not found ANYthing that could
be a thermal fuse, at least, not at the motor end. Inside the handle
there is a small PCB (approx 50mm x 40mm) to which the cables to and
from the switch are connected. The PCB has what looks like a
capacitor, since it's marked uF. It is yellow, rectangular, about 20mm
x 15 x 5. There is also a resistor and what looks like a voltage
regulator.

Could the thermal protection be an integral part of the motor?

MM