Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Good gloves

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Heh. I'm astounded they could get a cameraman, sound recordist and what
looked like five blokes actually needed to run the train on the
footplate. I noticed that Clarkson only did a tiny bit of shovelling, I
doubt that he actually shovelled 6 tonnes of coal.

Impossible to shovel 6 tonnes of coal unless you do it daily.

As a summer job I used to work in a cotton mill shovelling 6 to 20
tonnes of wet cotton per day. It takes about a week or doing it 8 hours
per day to get into it.

I belive te record is 30 tonnes of ballast by an Irish Navvy.

Hell. Although some of the blokes I used to work with were Irish Navvies
so I can believe it.