Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Panasonic upright cleaner now back in business! Next, the Hoover PurePower

In article ,
MM writes:
I've fitted the new thermal fuse and bingo! It works again. Now for
the Hoover PurePower 1900w.

However, the cut-out on the Hoover is different in that the thing cuts
out, then you leave it for two to three minutes and it will start
again. The time until cut-out gets shorter and shorter.

The Panasonic's fuse OTOH was a one-time "blow", never to work again,
which figured, as it gave no warning at all when it stopped working.

The thermal fuses tripping are normally symptoms of another problem.
Did you identify what the original problem was?

So, my question, before I start dismantling the Hoover: will the
thermal fuse look similar to the Panaonic's e.g. one of these:
http://images.asia.ru/img/alibaba/ph...ermal_fuse.jpg

No.

Might look like
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42419936.jpg
but there are other styles.

However, you should be fixing whatever is causing the overheating.
It sounds like the thermal switch is working fine. (These ones can
go wrong and develop contact resistance which self-heats them, but
that's not what I would assume to start with.)

More likely faults are reduced air-flow (hence insufficient cooling)
caused by blocked airway or filters, motor bearing over-heating,
motor winding shorted and overheating (often caused initially by
over-heating due to reduced air-flow).

--
Andrew Gabriel