Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Sealing kickboard molding?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 7:10 am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Its an overkill that does not do anything but preserve the baseboard in
limited flooding situations. Yes, I agree that this particular homeowner
is
a PITA. In the event of a limited flooding situation, the remainder I've
talked about will have to be replaced.

I was specifying the situations where said source of water logging may
occur
and what it usually affects. Not defending as to why or why not the
sealing
of baseboard as you are under the impression of for no apparent reason to
me
And, if you think it out after reading my input, you would realize that
the
homeowner is wasting his/her time by my input. Not a digression from the
discussion as you suggest, just an expanded picture of why. Same to Rico.
Both newsgroup policemen.

Sorry, but it is a digression. The OP asked about applying a sealant
to some molding, not waterproofing techniques. Caulking the baseboard
is just as likely to hide problems as prevent them. If water is
behind the caulk it won't readily seep out and let you know there's a
problem (not all 'leaks' are from klutzes spilling stuff inside their
houses).

It's generally far easier to convince an owner to modify their notions
then to just forget about them. The latter results in resentment and
"this guy is taking advantage of me" feelings, which show up when the
contractor is looking to get paid, or when a neighbor asks for a
referral.

In this particular case the contractor could up-sell the owner to some
fiberglass or PVC moldings so rot would never be an issue. It's still
a waste of time and money, but it's a scenario where both parties are
more likely to be happy with the outcome.

If you provide an opinion, you can expect to get an opinion on your
opinion - especially if it is questionable. It's nothing personal,
just newsgroup 'business'.

-----------

Alright, absorbed.

As I said, I expanded on what happens when water gets behind the baseboard.
That in itself explains why just addressing the back of the baseboard by
itself is a waste of time. I don't feel I have to defend that portion of my
response in any shape, manner, or form.

I know the silicon caulk works here in the bathroom along the
floor/baseboard line. Hardly a defense, but I don't feel I have to defend
things that I see that work in reality vs. someone's newsgroup opinion
otherwise. Believe your opinion is "kneejerk" in this specific regard.
--
Dave