Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan: brands?

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 06:24:46p, woger151 told us...

I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Aside from SWMBO's preferences, I would highly recommend Emerson ceiling
fans. IMHO, Casablanca fans are stylish but decidedly mediocre in quality.
Most Hampton Bay fans are relatively poor quality. Hunter fans range from
very cheap (and cheaply made) to very expensive and of high quality.
However, their very best fans are exceedingly heavy and require special
mounting to secure them.

Emerson also makes a wide range of fans in a wide range of prices. Their
best fans will last a lifetime and are well worth it. Remote controls are
available for most of their models. They also offer some very nice styles.

Of the brands mentioned, only Hunter and Emerson have been producing
ceiling fans since the early 1900s.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Old people shouldn't eat health foods. They need all the