Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan: brands?

I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Remote control is great in a bedroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hampton Bay is a store brand for HD which imports their fans from China.

I bought two fans from a ceiling fan store. They move a lot more air than
the HD & Lowe's fans we have. So much so that we never run them on high. The
Hampton Bay fan in our master bedroom does not move as much air as a fart.

cm
"woger151" wrote in message
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

There's a 20 year old Casablanca fan in my previous house, with electronic
wall switch (for speed control), but no remote control. Nothing has broken.
I'm about to replace the Hunter fan in my current house with a Casablanca
for one reason: The old Casablanca was perfectly balanced (no wobble) and
totally silent unless it was turned to high, in which case the predominant
sound was just the blades moving through the air. But not the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
There's a 20 year old Casablanca fan in my previous house, with electronic
wall switch (for speed control), but no remote control. Nothing has
broken. I'm about to replace the Hunter fan in my current house with a
Casablanca for one reason: The old Casablanca was perfectly balanced (no
wobble) and totally silent unless it was turned to high, in which case the
predominant sound was just the blades moving through the air. But not the
motor.

Same at my house. I'd buy another Casablanca

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

A couple of things to keep in mind. Casablanca is an excellent fan,
extremely quiet and perfectly balanced, but pricey. They have had issues
with some of the control systems like intellitouch, doing strange things
for no apparent reasons. Some of their fans, and many Hunter brand fans,
which are both made by the same company, are excessively heavy and cannot
be mounted to a standard ceiling fan support box. These fans require wood
bracing above the ceiling that a large lag bolt must be screwed into. In
the event that you don't have access or the desire to do this, check the
mounting requirements before purchasing.

Hampton Bay is just a trademark of HD, the fans are made by a variety of
companies, some are really well made and quite inexpensive, but it is kind
of pot luck.
Emerson and Minka-Aire are two other companies that make mid grade perfectly
good fans as well, and like most of the Hampton bays fans, will typically
mount to standard fan support boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
There's a 20 year old Casablanca fan in my previous house, with
electronic wall switch (for speed control), but no remote control.
Nothing has broken. I'm about to replace the Hunter fan in my current
house with a Casablanca for one reason: The old Casablanca was perfectly
balanced (no wobble) and totally silent unless it was turned to high, in
which case the predominant sound was just the blades moving through the
air. But not the motor.

Same at my house. I'd buy another Casablanca

Always bought Hunters in the past but the house we bought last year has a
Casablanca in our bedroom and it's the quietist fan I've ever owned\not
heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:24*pm, woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

I've installed a lot of brands of ceiling fans over the years. The
best was Minka. Very well made fans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:32:53 -0400, LouB wrote:
woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Remote control is great in a bedroom.

Yeah. Instead of controlling the fan at the entrance to the room, you get to
tear the bedsheets apart, look under the bed and nighttables, behind the bed,
and perhaps in several other rooms looking for the remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 06:24:46p, woger151 told us...

I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

Aside from SWMBO's preferences, I would highly recommend Emerson ceiling
fans. IMHO, Casablanca fans are stylish but decidedly mediocre in quality.
Most Hampton Bay fans are relatively poor quality. Hunter fans range from
very cheap (and cheaply made) to very expensive and of high quality.
However, their very best fans are exceedingly heavy and require special
mounting to secure them.

Emerson also makes a wide range of fans in a wide range of prices. Their
best fans will last a lifetime and are well worth it. Remote controls are
available for most of their models. They also offer some very nice styles.

Of the brands mentioned, only Hunter and Emerson have been producing
ceiling fans since the early 1900s.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Old people shouldn't eat health foods. They need all the

Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
[...]

That is a user problem that we never had in 12 years.
Perhaps some people are not smart enough to use a remote, for the rest
they are very nice.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:

[...]

Remotes are designed that way. The government requires that remotes be
able to move and hide themselves in order for 'couch potatoes' and
'layabouts' get some exercise.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remotes are designed that way. The government requires that remotes be
able to move and hide themselves in order for 'couch potatoes' and
'layabouts' get some exercise.

That's about to change. The democratically controlled congress has declared
that "couch potato" is a disease and has set aside billions of dollars from
their trillion dollar healthcare reform plan to help couch potatoes find
their remotes and wipe their asses.

cm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 6:24*pm, woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

I made the recent post about the Casablanca install issue. Casablanca
sent a factory warranty electrician over with new reciever and remote,
and rewried the fan we had issues with. It works like a charm.

Casablanca really came through for us, and the jury is out as to
whether the initial problems were due to a faulty reciever or improper
handling and installation by the electrician (twice).

Now that it is running, it is quiet, cooling, and looks damned good. I
recommend them highly. There is no underlying motor buzz, which we
have in another (cheap) fan elsewhere. My $.02, don't cheap out an
anything you may have to sleep with every night ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 10:23*pm, "RBM" wrote:
Hampton Bay is just a trademark of HD, the fans are made by a variety of
companies, some are really well made and quite inexpensive, but it is kind
of pot luck.
Emerson and Minka-Aire are two other companies that make mid grade perfectly
good fans as well, and like most of the Hampton bays fans, will typically
mount to standard fan support boxes.

How about Monte Carlo, like http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Carlo-5L.../dp/B0001N3NWI
?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Nelson" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 10:23 pm, "RBM" wrote:
Hampton Bay is just a trademark of HD, the fans are made by a variety of
companies, some are really well made and quite inexpensive, but it is kind
of pot luck.
Emerson and Minka-Aire are two other companies that make mid grade
perfectly
good fans as well, and like most of the Hampton bays fans, will typically
mount to standard fan support boxes.

How about Monte Carlo, like
http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Carlo-5L.../dp/B0001N3NWI
?

I'm not familiar with this brand. It looks like a decent fan, and I really
like the up light feature. I've run in to a few that have up lighting, and
it's really nice. For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality,
classic design fan, from just about any manufacturer

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gwandsh" wrote in message
[...]

Quiet and balance has always been Casablanca's claim to fame. The issues you
had could have been a result of either possibility. years ago they were
really great about sending people for in warranty repairs, but since Hunter
bought them, that service has all but vanished. It's only available in a
handful of locations

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy
controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style , or
traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:24*pm, woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

I have 5 Hunters in the house. Smooth quiet operation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy
controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style , or
traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Key "reputable company."

Your original post said "just about any manufacturer" I bet I can walk
into the Orange Colored Store and find a ceiling fan that sells for $200
but is a festering POS.

this isn't limited to ceiling fans, either, pretty much all consumer
goods are poor quality crap.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy
controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style ,
or traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Key "reputable company."

Your original post said "just about any manufacturer" I bet I can walk
into the Orange Colored Store and find a ceiling fan that sells for $200
but is a festering POS.

this isn't limited to ceiling fans, either, pretty much all consumer goods
are poor quality crap.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not a traditional fan . I don't think they even sell a traditional HB in
that price range. Hunter is probably the only thing they'd have in a
traditional style at that price, and personally, I'm no fan of Hunter, but
it would arguably be " a quality fan"

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

[...]

just curious, why not a fan (pun intended?) I've installed at least two
Hunters in my recent memory and while I knew that they weren't "top of
the line" I've had no problems with them. One was installed in my
kitchen xmas '07 and has seen a LOT of use since then (as in, it will be
turned on to keep the kitchen cool while cooking and then left on
continuously until someone notices that it's running) other was in a
rental house (long story) so I don't know how that one held up.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:24*pm, woger151 wrote:
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8'
ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton
Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a)
remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on
Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new
one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is
at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to
fans available now.

TIA,

A tangential complaint I have is why so many of the fan manufacturers
are down-sizing the light kits on their fans? I can't find a light kit
with the bowl cover (not the individual sconces) that uses a standard
base - they're all going to candelabra with 60W max. which doesn't put
out enough light to use as the primary light source in, say, my
bedroom.

Grrr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

[...]

Two problems I have with Hunter, Many of them are very heavy and require
special bracing above the wiring box, and many of them use the most ass
backward hardware and mounting methods. IMO, whoever invented the ball
hanger, was a genius. The way I see it, the second the patent expired on
that design, every fan manufacturer should have adopted it, and most did,
but not Hunter, they continued to use the most archaic methods available.
One of their fans is a flush mount. The steel mounting plate has rubber
standoffs that keep the plate a specific distance from the ceiling. If you
overtighten the plate, the rubber mounts pop through the sheetrock, leaving
no way to tighten the screws without drawing the plate too close to the
ceiling for the motor housing screws to line up. I would expect stupid
designs on cheap fans, not Hunter, yet some of the most clever designs are
on fans like those from HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy
controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style ,
or traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Is there a plain vanilla Casablanca fan for $200?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
[...]

===================

Maybe they're finding that customers aren't buying the ones with individual
fixtures. Take a look at Casablanca. When I bought mine many years ago, some
of their models could be fitted with a number of different lighting options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design
fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy
controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style ,
or traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Is there a plain vanilla Casablanca fan for $200?

Yes, and no. Here is a link to a site that sells traditional casablanca
fans. The fans that are less expensive are not "true casablanca" fans, but
imports that casablanca sticks their logo on. These are still pretty good
fans, as even in the less expensive market, casablanca still has a
reputation to uphold. The most traditional and probably the best selling fan
they make, the Panama, seems to go on sale every summer for something in the
$200 range. Of the hundreds of fans I've installed over the years, I've
installed more Panamas than any other model of fan, and barring a rare
defective unit, every single one of them runs balanced and silent.

http://lightingbygregory.com/lightin...aditional.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 07:23:23p, RBM told us...

"woger151" wrote in message
[...]

Emerson fans feature 3 grades/types of motors in various styles, which
reflect a wide price range as well. Their top grade motor has a lifetime
full replacement warranty, requires absolutely no maintenance other than
surface cleaning, and is perfectly silent in operation.

Apart from the Hunter Original (which weighs in at ~50 pounds, I wouldn't
buy any other fan than Emerson. I've owned 5 of them for many years, have
moved them from house to house several times, and they still perform like
they were new out of the box.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There's no

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remote control is great in a bedroom.

Yeah. Instead of controlling the fan at the entrance to the room, you get to
tear the bedsheets apart, look under the bed and nighttables, behind the bed,
and perhaps in several other rooms looking for the remote.

Late response, but...

I had two ceiling fans installed last year - one Hunter, one HD. (All I
could really afford at the time, with the new house). These went into a
bedroom and a den, ie spare bedroom in a 50's house that had no overhead
lights. For the den, I just had the fan installed with a wall switch to
control the power, and use the attached chains for the light and fan
controls. For the bedroom, I got the remote control and also a wireless
wall switch, that both controlled the receiver in the fan. This has
worked well for me - I can control the fan and/or light from the door,
and then use the remote to turn the light off. And better yet, if it
gets too cool at night, I can turn the fan down without having to get up
and stumble to the door or worse try to find the elusive chains in the dark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 9:34*pm, Lee B wrote:
[...]

I've thought it would be a nice design if there was a wall unit that
listened to a remote but a wall unit and a remote that both controlled
a box near the fan is OK, too. Where did you get such a setup?

A/C brands Jean Home Repair 9 March 28th 09 04:02 AM
Brands - interesting The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 February 20th 09 06:51 PM
RG-6 QS, top brands? szilagyic Home Repair 36 April 17th 07 01:45 PM
good brands... intuitiveart Woodworking 12 December 6th 06 05:01 AM
Recommended Ceiling Fan Brands??? Peter Home Repair 14 August 4th 05 05:38 AM