Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Bondo vs Latex Putty?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:38:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:11:18 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a
good
reason to prefer that product?

Bondo is essentially a "rubber" putty, cures faster and hardens better
than a latex putty. Resists water and takes well to paints.

I've seen Bondo used on a couple of doors.

bondo is talc added to putty, and isn't resistent to water unless it's
covered with something. it will be harder than a latex putty.

I know Bondo resist staining. The wood sucks up the stain first. Paint
is the best cover up.