Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Changing My Riding Mower Blade

Ulysses wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
I have a 10 year old Deere lawn mower, and decided to have the
blade sharpened. The last time I did this was about 4 years ago. I
made a ramp for one set of wheels, left probably, from a 2x6 and
used 8" high concrete brick then drove up it. I got the blade off
pretty easily, as I recall. Not so this time. Maybe rust or
something has tightened it up. This time I
put two 2x6s on bricks and rolled it up. The center of the blade is
about 3" from the left wheel track and the distance from the
ground to the blade
increased by maybe 4-6", so clearance is tricky to work. I have no
vehicle to put the mower into, or I'd be tempted to take it to a
dealer.
Any suggestions on how to build a ramp that would make this easier
to service?

Easiest thing IMO is to just take off the mowing deck.

Interesting idea. I'll look in the manual. There may be instructions
on how to do that.

I have two riding mowers. The Craftsman deck is easy to remove.

I'm not so sure I would say "easy" but it isn't awful.

It would be easy if the holes in the studs were on the outboard side so I
could actually *see* the pins to pull or place them. Somewhere there is an
engineer that cackles merrily everytime he thinks of people trying to
blindly find the damn holes.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...