Posted to alt.home.repair
Dorothy Dorothy is offline

Default A few questions about ridge vents

On Jun 24, 7:37*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
wrote in message

How do they attach it to the roof? *Nails or screws? *The ones that
were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily during the
hurricanes. *Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Ideally there should be more intake space than exhaust, and if the intakes
are covered with window-type screens, then that could reduce the "net free
area" by as much as 40%.

If the house has or will have soffit vents, they will need to install rafter
baffles as well, so the ceiling/attic insulation can go all the way to the
roof, yet still leave room for air to get from the soffit vents to the ridge
vent.

Also ask about rain infiltration. Some are rated for Miami-Dade county (FL)
hurricane standards, I believe the "air-vent II" is what I have (don't
remember the mfgr), and I think it's one of those that has 0% infiltration;
i.e. the attic remains totally dry inside even though the roof is about to
be ripped off....

I had a new roof put on in 2007. I got estimates from three different
companies....all three companies said they would use the Cobra ridge
vent. I ended up hiring a company that used GAF shingles and the
Cobra ... they also worked with the My Safe Florida Home Program and
everything was done according to Miami-Dade Code (though I am in
another FL county) ... the building inspectors are pretty careful to
make sure everything installed is done in accordance with the new
codes put in effect after Andrew. My roof is a cathedral ceiling
type. We have soffit vents . All I can tell you is that it doesn't
leak and the electric bill has remained about the same as it was with
the tile roof. We did not install any more insulation.