Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default A few questions about ridge vents

On Jun 24, 3:44*pm, "Castle" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

This is a very good question to get answered. My neighbor had them
installed and the roof knew they would be useless with the cathedral
ceilings but did not advise him. I think they chared him about $1200
USD and they are pretty much worthless.

Jimmie

On a cathedral ceiling, ridge vent is about the only way you can go. There
should be an air gap between sheathing & insulation. Or, baffles so the
insulation isn't against the sheathing. The baffles create the air gap.

You can't put pod/pot vents on and be effective, nor can you install gable
end vents for the same reason.

Thats true and you would have thought the house would have been
built that way with the baffles and ridge vents installed but it
wasnt. My point is that it was a waste of time and MONEY to install
the ridge vents without correcting the other airflow problems. The
installer didnt let the home owner know about the other problem, the
installer was either totaly incompetent or he just wanted to make some
quick and easy money. Im sure if the owner had been properly advised
he would have save his money and got all the work done when the roof
needed to be replaced

I lucked up and my house got hit by a tornado. It was built by the
same people that built my neighbors and had the same problem. My
roofing contractor spotted the problem and I was able to fix mine,
thanks to the damage cause by the tornado, for the cost of the
deductable.

Jimmie