Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default generator transfer switch

HeyBub wrote:

Robert Neville wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:

That is NOT a transfer switch. You forget to "flip OFF" the main and
when the elec comes back
BOOM!

Or worse, you electrocute a line worker!

No - if you follow the link you'll see that the setup includes a
slider that prevents both breakers from being on at the same time.
Quite clever really and way cheaper than a transfer switch -
especiall the ones that force you to designate which breakers can be
fed by the genset.

Yeah, but it ain't $150.00 clever.

I made my own from a flat piece of plexiglass.

I have the Square D interlock on my panel, and it was not $150. I seem
to recall it cost about $35 when I ordered it from my electrical supply
place.

It is by far the least expensive transfer device available, particularly
considering it can handle up to a 125A / 30KW generator connection (125A
max branch circuit breaker size, ~$90 breaker).