Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Default Spiral nails pulling out of deck

In ,
dropped this bit of wisdom:
"PDQ" writes:

Without regard to what others will say about coated deck screws,
they do rust and causes holes where water will lay. Stainless may
cost more......

Considerably more. Maybe even prohibitively more. Are preservative
coatings an option? Since I'm currently refurbishing an old deck, I'd
certainly be interested in this info. Thanks.

nb

I tried them the first time.
They were guaranteed not to rust, bust, tear or spring leaks.

When it came time to redo, I used stainless.

The stainless on my fence are 10 years old and still look and work like new.

I wish my deck could say the same. Each plank I redo/replace gets stainless.

I had to redo a portion of the deck after 3 years when my TV antenna was removed.
The screws had rusted by then and most of the ones I had to remove got chewed by a reciprocal saw.

P D Q