Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Wiki: Rivet

On Jun 22, 7:54*pm, Dave wrote:
Phil Addison wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:33:47 -0700 (PDT), in uk.d-i-y NT
wrote:
On Jun 15, 3:44 am, NT wrote:
Another one to play with:
OK, after feedback here's version 2 for comment. Taught me a thing or
2.

Head types
* lost head - the head comes away
* the other one, leaves no hole

What's this? Is it to just fill spurious holes? cant see how it holds
pars together.

I was confused with this in the original post until just after I wrote
my explanation of what it means.

Take any rivet and it will have a pre formed head. In the case of pop
rivets, it will have a mandrill that protrudes through the head and the
other end of the mandrill will have a bulb type shape. This end of the
rivet is known as the tail.
The mandills come in 2 types, break stem and break head (not to be
confused with the true head of the rivet that has the pre formed shape.
See my original post regards how the two types work.

Yup, they look much the same, but the difference is they break in 2
different places. The reslt is that with one type the whole mandrel
drops out after fitting, leaving a central hole, but with the other
type the head/tail/etc part of the mandrel is retained, so no hole to
see through. I wish I knew the correct terms for these.

NT