Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default generator transfer switch

On Jun 22, 4:14*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

-snip-

The "Generator Interlock" mentioned above is a sliding bar that prevents the
MAIN disconnect switch from being on at the same time as the pair of
breakers leading to the generator. This interlock-thingy protects drunk or
fatigued linemen from getting tickled by your generator while they are
working on what they believe to be a dead distribution line.

That's the way to go!

Here's a set of examples for Square D breaker boxes:
http://www.interlockkit.com/squareDmain01.htm

If you study the instructions for each, you'll discover that you'll be
paying $150.00 for a single piece of metal and four piddly bolts.

Once this is in place, a power-outage involves the following steps:

1. Hook up the generator and start it.
2. Turn OFF the MAIN electrical service switch.
3. Turn OFF the circuit breakers that lead to huge electrical loads (Range,
Water heater, A/C, etc.) that might overload your generator (if any).
4. Slide the "Generator Interlock" business out of the way,
5. Exclaim "Let There Be Light!"
6. Turn ON the paired circuit breakers that lead to the generator.

This is very interesting - it might work for me - I'd have to replace
the feed to my generator hookup and change the order above...

I like this better- for $160 shipped;http://www.apelectric.com/ProductDet...uctCode=20216V
Gen-Tran 20 Amp 6 circuit 5000 watt prewired manual transfer switch

The planning on what needs to be on gets done before the lights go
out. * You've got meters to monitor loads. *

I guess the downside is that it might be tough to decide you want a
7th circuit during an outage. * * *

Jim- Hide quoted text -

5000 HP (Horsepower) is a railway locomotive, or small ship, sized
engine.
For example; a small car may have 100 HP engine, larger ones perhaps
200 to 300 HP.
Gasoline or diesel consumption for a 5000 watt (that's 5 kilowatts)
would probably be around one half to one quarter gallon per hour?
Depending to some extent on load. Such a unit may weigh several
hundred pounds.
..