Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mitre Saw binds.

On 6/22/2009 7:17 AM Ken S. Tucker spake thus:

The humble 20x20x10 project used only a circular saw,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/ We sometimes use a jig-saw to
cut curves, but for real precise trim a jig is a bit sloppy. We'll
take the saw - miter - and a sample 1x2 back to the Home hardware
store and get further instructions there, they're good, 99% of stuff
works fine,and we're steady customers, I think the saw teeth are
misshaped.

Before you take it back, a couple things to try:

1. Get a candle or other piece of wax. Rub it on the sawblade. This will
usually cure binding problems like magic. (Also good for wiping on wood
screws to make them drive more easily.)

2. If cutting at an angle, check that the piece being cut isn't being
jammed between sawblade and miter box. If you can clamp the piece to the
back of the box, do it.

(btw, in the U.S., we usually spell it "miter", not "mitre".)