Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mitre Saw binds.

Wife and I are completeling some final touches on a guest house,
we designed and built and is approved by Building Code Inspectors.

Being somewhat of a prefectionist, we purchased a mitre box and
mitre saw, (instead of using the usual chain saw) to cut trim.

So I clamp in the piece and the box but pushing the brand new mitre
saw forward nearly breaks my arm! It has fine teeth but
binds so it's really hard to push forward.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 4:34*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Wife and I are completeling some final touches on a guest house,
we designed and built and is approved by Building Code Inspectors.

Being somewhat of a prefectionist, we purchased a mitre box and
mitre saw, (instead of using the usual chain saw) to cut trim.

So I clamp in the piece and the box but pushing the brand new mitre
saw forward nearly breaks my arm! *It has fine teeth but
binds so it's really hard to push forward.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
Ken

use yr chane sa, bein a perfekshunate is hard thinkin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 4:34*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Wife and I are completeling some final touches on a guest house,
we designed and built and is approved by Building Code Inspectors.

Being somewhat of a prefectionist, we purchased a mitre box and
mitre saw, (instead of using the usual chain saw) to cut trim.

So I clamp in the piece and the box but pushing the brand new mitre
saw forward nearly breaks my arm! *It has fine teeth but
binds so it's really hard to push forward.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
Ken

I think that's why powered miter saws took off. I was so happy when I
found them I bought 2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 5:34*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Wife and I are completeling some final touches on a guest house,
we designed and built and is approved by Building Code Inspectors.

Being somewhat of a prefectionist, we purchased a mitre box and
mitre saw, (instead of using the usual chain saw) to cut trim.

So I clamp in the piece and the box but pushing the brand new mitre
saw forward nearly breaks my arm! *It has fine teeth but
binds so it's really hard to push forward.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
Ken

Insufficient set or your technique needs to pick the saw up a bit and
start the cut on a corner or in less wood and gradually increase
contact.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 6:43 pm, Red Green wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:ed143676-37d7-4cf0-
:

Wife and I are completeling some final touches on a guest house,
we designed and built and is approved by Building Code Inspectors.

Being somewhat of a prefectionist, we purchased a mitre box and
mitre saw, (instead of using the usual chain saw) to cut trim.

So I clamp in the piece and the box but pushing the brand new mitre
saw forward nearly breaks my arm! It has fine teeth but
binds so it's really hard to push forward.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
Ken
we designed and built

How the hell did you build a guest house without a power miter saw?!!!!!
Don't tell me a Woodright's Shop active follower.

[Roy Underhill uses no power tools:http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop]

Thanks for replies Gents.
The humble 20x20x10 project used only a circular saw,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/
We sometimes use a jig-saw to cut curves, but for
real precise trim a jig is a bit sloppy.
We'll take the saw - miter - and a sample 1x2 back
to the Home hardware store and get further instructions
there, they're good, 99% of stuff works fine,and we're
steady customers, I think the saw teeth are misshaped.
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2009 7:17 AM Ken S. Tucker spake thus:

The humble 20x20x10 project used only a circular saw,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/ We sometimes use a jig-saw to
cut curves, but for real precise trim a jig is a bit sloppy. We'll
take the saw - miter - and a sample 1x2 back to the Home hardware
store and get further instructions there, they're good, 99% of stuff
works fine,and we're steady customers, I think the saw teeth are
misshaped.

Before you take it back, a couple things to try:

1. Get a candle or other piece of wax. Rub it on the sawblade. This will
usually cure binding problems like magic. (Also good for wiping on wood
screws to make them drive more easily.)

2. If cutting at an angle, check that the piece being cut isn't being
jammed between sawblade and miter box. If you can clamp the piece to the
back of the box, do it.

(btw, in the U.S., we usually spell it "miter", not "mitre".)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:3b55df3c-5fb9-4442-
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/

Looks really good to me. Who needs a stinkin' miter saw?! :-)

Come to recall, the first structure I built decades ago was a two car
garage. I had no miter saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 3:48 pm, Red Green wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:3b55df3c-5fb9-4442-
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/

Looks really good to me. Who needs a stinkin' miter saw?! :-)

We landed on the lot with a tent and some tools, so we
had to keep it fairly easy and simple, for our average skill.

One thing that really blew me was the flat 24x24 roof.
We sledged in 4x8 T&G screwing as we go, trying to
keep it square.
After we finished I did the corner to corner measure to
see how square it turned out, I'd be happy within an inch
or so, damn thing came in at 1/64" within 1/100 th inch.
So I get down off the roof, grab a serious swig of drink,
and get wife to double check - I figured I was dreaming,
nope +/- 100th" so I celebrated with the benefit of spirits.
I guess all the compounding errors cancelled out.

Come to recall, the first structure I built decades ago was a two car
garage. I had no miter saw.

My experience is 20% of work is structural, 80% clad
and interior. Oh and 90% of that is figuring out how to
do it!
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

:

[...]

Mine is more like my bowling scroe - high 90's :-)

Table saw binds ripping PT 2x6 blueman Woodworking 9 November 1st 07 07:46 PM
Mitre box Arthur 51 UK diy 3 July 18th 07 07:40 PM
Screw drive garage door opener binds...needs lube? [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 29th 07 01:58 AM
60 deg cut on Mitre Saw scott Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:15 AM
Mitre Saw SB Woodworking 1 November 19th 04 12:16 PM