Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Spiral nails pulling out of deck

wrote:

Without regard to what others will say about coated deck screws,
they do rust and causes holes where water will lay. Stainless may
cost more......

Considerably more. Maybe even prohibitively more. Are preservative
coatings an option? Since I'm currently refurbishing an old deck, I'd
certainly be interested in this info. Thanks.

It really depends on how long you plan on having the deck, what type of
wood is used, what the weather is like in your area, etc.

I live in the Canadian prairies, where it's pretty dry most of the
summer. Around here the average wooden deck will usually fall apart
before the fasteners corrode, so nobody uses stainless.

Chris