Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Audel Carpenters and Builders library

Marty wrote:
Well I'll be darned..... Had to run down to the workshop
and drag out the framing square. Never took a real close
look at this thing but was thrown for a loop. I recall
a few years ago I was building an octagon table and spent
some time laying out the cuts.... and there is was on the
framing square all the time! sheesh

You're lucky you got one with the scales. They don't all have them anymore.

Marty

DLB wrote:
On Jun 22, 5:50 am, Topaz wrote:
This is an appeal to rec.ww's.
Does anyone have a copy of the Audel publication Carpenters and
Builders Library Book #1, containing information on Framing Squares?
It must be a about a 1923 print, or reprint thereof.

There is an ongoing discussion on some roof framing forums about how
to use the Octagon table. Not the table on a modern square, used to
turn a square-sided post into an eight-sided one. The Eagle square
made in those days had a set of scales to set out the angles of
rafters for an octagon roof; one of those scales appears to be
"wrong" - but it can't be !

It would be great if someone has a copy and is prepared to post how
the hip side cut (octagon) scale should be interpreted.

Topaz

Try:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/z_media/a...uare-Vol.1.pdf