Posted to rec.woodworking
Topaz[_2_] Topaz[_2_] is offline

Default Audel Carpenters and Builders library

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Many reactions refer to the current Octagon scales - showing how to
"plane" a 4-side to an 8-side (eg the wiki).
My OP said that was not what I wanted: what I want is
the Eagle square from about 1900 to 1923 (when Eagle were swallowed
by Stanley) which had a different set of scales as my OP described.

Sweet Sawdust, before we start posting, please can you be really sure
that
the copy you have describes the old Octagon scales ?

(I have put a scan of the scales on Flickr but I dont know how to post
a link to
the single image here. Help anyone?)

Greetings.

On 22 jun, 16:07, "sweet sawdust" wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

This is an appeal to rec.ww's.
Does anyone have a copy of the Audel publication Carpenters and
Builders Library Book #1, containing information on Framing Squares?
It must be a about a 1923 print, or reprint thereof.

There is an ongoing discussion on some roof framing forums about how
to use the Octagon table. *Not the table on a modern square, used to
turn a square-sided post into an eight-sided one. *The Eagle square
made in those days had a set of scales to set out the angles of
rafters for an octagon roof; one of those scales appears to be "wrong"
- but it can't be !

It would be great if someone has a copy and is prepared to post how
the hip side cut (octagon) scale should be interpreted.

Topaz

Yes it is on page 264 book 1 of the 4th edtion copy right 1976 . *Where do
you want it posted

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -