Posted to rec.woodworking

Default does all wood darken?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:48:52 -0700 (PDT), dustyone
wrote:

Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. I am surprised how
much my pine furniture has darkened with age. Not sure if ALL wood
darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which one(s) do not.
There have been many times I avoided cherry due to its darkening
characteristics. What is aggravating is putting a vase, cloth, lamp
on a table for some months, then you can see the lighter shadow on the
wood.