jduprie

Default Comments on Steel Buildings for Workshop

I did a bunch of reserach on this a few years ago. Turned out that the total
cost for a traditional balloon frame (stud) building was about the same as
the cost for a metal building. Mine is 52x40. The interior is faced with
OSB, the floor is Advantec (a composite plywood), the cieling is unfinished
drywall. I've also got a 5' basement, and an "attic" that has an area about
20x52 that could easily be finished (the roof trusses used up about 10' on
each side). the best part is that it matches the other buildings on the
property - I don't have to deal with the ugly metal building look.....

--JD

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Doug,
Your total comes to well over $40,000 for the finished shed. (Is this
American dollars?)
That's a bit scary, since I hope to build one in a few years. What
alternatives did you check out?

Bob

"doug houseman" wrote in message
I had Wick build a 30 x 45 foot Gambrel Roof 12 foot side wall Steel
(pole) builidng for me.

The quoted cost - less concrete - a loft and interior finishing was
about 24,000

Concrete with rat walls and all - I went with a 6 inch slab - was
another 8,000

The interior loft I did myself in sections - and it has cost another
about 3,000 (I used 12mm plywood from Canada for the floor - it only
comes in AB, so it is a bit pricy).

I did 24 inch on center 2x6 studs and filled them with 6 inch R-19
batting for the walls - all the way to the end peaks - then covered them
with T-111. Another about 4,000

I did some interior partitions as well.

The finals size of the shop is 20 x 27 - the rest of the barn is used
for other things.

I am adding a Hot Dawg from ACME this fall for heat and I am insulating
the underside of the loft and putting enamaled hardboard up for a
ceiling.

I use 2 - 250 Watt Sodium Vapor lights for general illumination and have
6 - 2 tube 40Watt 4' lights for area work as will as two mobile 250 watt
spots for when I want to do detail work.

Wick did a great job - it is the 17th barn they have built for someone
in my family!

Hope this helps.

Doug

In article ,
"George M. Kazaka" wrote:

Graig, I did a little looking into on steel building for a shop,

seeing
as
how i had no dirt to erect one on i didn't pursue it into any detail

I have been waiting for you to post, I got your e-mail and deleted by
accident so i do not have your address in reference to the pine we

spoke
about send it again and I promise not to erase is again, G

George in Mesa,

"Pops" wrote in message
.net...
I am going to be putting up a steel building and am looking for

comments.
Listed below are of particular interest:

1. Any companies that have good or bad customer serivce /

reputation.
2. Quoted cost to finish cost.
3. Buy from a local or natioanl firm.
4. How easy is it to insulate?