Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Upstairs too hot

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:49:26 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:42:26 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
The upstairs is almost always hotter than the downstairs during the
summer. Noticeably hotter. If we get the upstairs comfortable, the
downstairs is like an ice box.
Any suggestions? The house is about 20 years old. Also, I'm trying
to avoid tearing up the roof.

What are you using for cooling? Separate AC systems for each floor?
An evaporative cooler? Only a fan?

A/C, just one for both floors. Only one thermostat, on first floor.
The AC is original equipment.

What is your climate? Arctic? Tropical? Desert?

Indiana. Probably moderate, but last few days have been 80-90 and
HUUMMMIIIDDD. Generally tends to be livable in the upstairs until we get
to mid-80s ambient.

Believe it or not, these are factors that are more important than how
old your house is.

I belive you. Just did not know. (G).

With one system, it's obviously going to get hotter upstairs; heat rises.

As another poster suggested, shut off the first floor registers. Maybe see
about getting a thermostat where you can run it fan only to help mix the air?
Set a high velocity fan at the bottom of the stairs blowing upstairs?