Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Upstairs too hot

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
The upstairs is almost always hotter than the downstairs during the
summer. Noticeably hotter. If we get the upstairs comfortable, the
downstairs is like an ice box.
Any suggestions? The house is about 20 years old. Also, I'm trying
to avoid tearing up the roof.

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found

1. Add insulation in the attic. 12-18 inches above code for your area.

2. Add an attic fan

3. Get a digital, programmable thermostat. Set higher during the day,
lower at night.

4. Set your thermostat fan setting at night to ON before going to bed, so it
runs even when the temperature has dropped to/below the set point. Set it
back to AUTO when you wake. This might also allow you to set the overnight
temp 1-2 deg higher and still be comfortable.

5. Keep drapes on south and west sides closed. If you have south/west
windows with sheer or no drapes, get opaque drapes.

6. Close off first floor vents in summer so all of the forced air goes
upstairs. Open in autumn.