Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default generator transfer switch

Dottie wrote:
Last year we bought a generator. We did not get a transfer switch but
did talk about it in estimated costs ... so this year when I started
asking about buying one and getting it installed, the price has gone
up a lot and there is a big variation according to whom I am
asking ... for a 5000 horsepower generator - what should the average
price be. We only expect to have about six outlets (120). And what
should we expect to pay to install it - garage is concrete block so it
would have to be mounted on the wall with screws. Thanks. I am in
Tampa Bay area.

Put an ad in the Tampa Craigslist under "Wanted" (electrician).

As you found out, a transfer switch is not really needed - you CAN operate
with long extension cords.

Further, depending on the circuit-breaker box you have, you may be able to
forego a transfer switch altogether by a simple attachment to the
circuit-breaker box. This "attachment" is called a "Generator Interlock" and
relates the two twenty-amp breakers that go to the plug for your generator
and the main power disconnect.

This pair of breakers are normally OFF. When the power fails, you plug in
your generator, flip OFF the main disconnect, and flip ON the two breakers.
Viola! Power to the whole house.

The "Generator Interlock" mentioned above is a sliding bar that prevents the
MAIN disconnect switch from being on at the same time as the pair of
breakers leading to the generator. This interlock-thingy protects drunk or
fatigued linemen from getting tickled by your generator while they are
working on what they believe to be a dead distribution line.

Here's a set of examples for Square D breaker boxes:
http://www.interlockkit.com/squareDmain01.htm

If you study the instructions for each, you'll discover that you'll be
paying $150.00 for a single piece of metal and four piddly bolts.

Once this is in place, a power-outage involves the following steps:

1. Hook up the generator and start it.
2. Turn OFF the MAIN electrical service switch.
3. Turn OFF the circuit breakers that lead to huge electrical loads (Range,
Water heater, A/C, etc.) that might overload your generator (if any).
4. Slide the "Generator Interlock" business out of the way,
5. Exclaim "Let There Be Light!"
6. Turn ON the paired circuit breakers that lead to the generator.