Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Sealing kickboard molding?

On Jun 21, 10:41*am, "benick" wrote:
"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
news:bradneg83aGIe6HXnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@earthlink. com...
"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
cglobal.net...
In a fully-insulated home in N. California SF Bay Area (very temperate
climes) is it common to seal the back side as well as the front of
kickboard
molding? The owner is insisting that the back side be sealed also with
organic varnish or polyurethane.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

Do you mean a molding as in "baseboard"?
If you don't have carpet, you can seal the bottom with silicon caulk
after its nailed up. *The top can always be caulked.

Believe the idea behind using varnish or polyurethane is to keep wet rot
down if you spill something, and the spill affects the back of the
baseboard. *The sheetrock doesn't touch the floor behind the baseboard.
This creates a cavity just waiting for a spill to happen, and hold that
spill for a long time until it finally dissipates. *This also affects
the sole plate if its not PT.
--
Dave

HUH ??? That's quite a spill if it rots out the floor and baseboard..You
would have to spill alot repeatedly in the SAME spot for several years
for that to happen....

This is common in bathrooms, especially in older homes. *May be throughout
the house if a flood occurs, but never goes beyond baseboard height.
Similar in a water heater closet with a water heater burst. *A leaky
built-in dishwasher can do similar behind the dishwasher. *A leaky sink
faucet at its base can do the same. *Commonly, its due to a very slight
gap between the baseboard and floor. *There is no baseboard in the last 2
items mentioned though. *Water accumulates between the baseboard and sole
plate. The backside of the baseboard wicks the water and may transfer some
of it to the sheetrock. *If the house has a subfloor with plywood
covering, its common for that plywood to take on that water as well. *If
the floor is covered with carpet, water rot may attack the underlayment..
--
Dave

That may be true Dave but what the hell does that have to do with requiring
the painter to seal the back side of the baseboard..With the leaks NOT
spills you mention sealing the baseboard won't do diddly squat...You'll have
ALOT more to be concerned about then the back side of the baseboard being
painted...As I said the homeowner is a PITA and is full of it....But thanks
for throwing the Red Herring into the discussion...

My take as well. I ran across such customers at a very tender age.
My brother started mowing lawns and I helped him out. He agreed on a
price for mowing a lady's lawn, we finished the first time and went to
the door to collect the money, then she tells us that she wants the
lawn mowed in _both_ directions so the tire marks would make a
checkerboard pattern! Being young and stupid we did it for the same
price.