Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default does all wood darken?

On Jun 21, 1:14*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 21, 12:21 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
dustyone wrote:
Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.
All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

What time frame are you talking about?

Well, I have unfinished softwood that has browned significantly over the
last ten years or so.

I've paid attention to the effect of time on softwood and hardwood
furniture built in North America in the 1600's - 1800's shown on
"Antiques Roadshow".

And I've seen first hand how wood from 1000 years ago has turned black
as charcoal (without an intermediate oil stage, AFAIK).

Well that clears that up. When you said eventually you were talking
about a time frame measured in the hundreds of years. I'm not sure
that's what the OP was asking about.