Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default does all wood darken?

Morris Dovey wrote:
dustyone wrote:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

That's called "charcoal", Morris...

I don't see that at all, though, at least w/o moisture. Cedar, most
pines, cypress, etc., will eventually get a gray outer layer and from
then on are essentially stable as long as don't stay wet.

I'm not thinking on same lines as you; obviously you're not thinking
along same lines as I...