Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default generator transfer switch

On Jun 20, 9:23*am, Dottie wrote:
Last year we bought a generator. *We did not get a transfer switch but
did talk about it in estimated costs ... so this year when I started
asking about buying one and getting it installed, the price has gone
up a lot and there is a big variation according to whom I am
asking ... for a 5000 horsepower generator - what should the average
price be. *We only expect to have about six outlets (120). *And what
should we expect to pay to install it - garage is concrete block so it
would have to be mounted on the wall with screws. *Thanks. *I am in
Tampa Bay area.

You really are lost, a 5000 horsepower gen would power a small town,
so ill guess its 5000 peak watts and maybe 3500 w full time load, or
maybe enough to run a frige, lights and tv safely. Generac has 6
circuit prewired complete kits for about 3-350, I put mine in, in a
day. By the way, costs have come down unless you live in one of those
rich oil producing countries like Dubai. You should be able to get one
done complete with kit for maybe 500 US$. Learn about what you have,
5000 means nothing, its going to safely run less than you think.
Hondas site has a good load calculator.