Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water

"Red" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 10:16 am, "Ulysses" wrote:

When the witcher was here I tried using the magic
wands (two bronze welding rods bent
at 90 degrees, one in each hand) and when you cross over a good spot the
wands will spread apart, then cross over each other, then spread apart

again
(maybe it was vice versa--been a while) so it IS doing something.

No, no. That method is for finding water lines, pipes, and telephone
cables. The correct method for dowsing is to use a very limber willow
branch shaped like a long wishbone, with the point up and the 2
branches held in each hand with your palms rotated outward. As you
walk over the correct spot, the willow point will rotate from up to
down. Have done it many many times with the willow always indicating
the same spot and not random as one might expect. I admit I never dug
a well to prove it was correct, but it was uncanny how the willow
always reacted to the same spot.

Red

I must be confusing witching and dowsing again. I didn't have any pipes,
power lines, phone wires, etc. I've never tried the willow but I remember
Walter Brennon using one on The Real McCoys quite a few years back. What do
dowsers use if there are no willows in the area? Buy one on eBay? I have
some trees down by my creek that might be some kind of willow. I guess I'd
better look up what they are so I can make a divining wand or rod or
whatever they are called. That reminds me--I found a very strong signal
with the welding rods and was thinking of making a long drill with a 2"
arbor bit and see if I hit anything. The bushes in that area stay very
green when there is a drought.