Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ethanol In Garden Tractors, Lawn Mowers

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:38:07 -0400, George
wrote:

RB wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
RB wrote:
There is a product on the market now called 50FUEL
It's pure gasoline premixed to 50:1 oil/gas or 40:1
Shelf life of 2 years at least.
For things like trimmers and chainsaws, it seems to solve some starting
and run problems on my equipment. Retails for $4 - $5 /qt

Wow, $16-$20 per gallon?! That's sure paying a lot extra for the
convenience of not spending 35 seconds dumping a little bottle of
pre-measured 2-cycle oil into a small gas can.

I did the math.
I'm not driving to the gas station to fill up a 1-gallon can, nor buying
the oil separately. And I'm getting pure product with no ethanol.
My Ryobi trimmer had been giving me problems with hard starting and
running. It's much better with the first tank of this stuff.
A quart will last me about 2 months of summer usage.

I don't make a special trip to fill a gas can and just bring it along
and stop on the way home and fuel the car at the same time. You can buy
synthetic oil that contains fuel stabilizer in an easy measure bottle.
I noticed a significant improvement in operation when I started using it.

I haven't noticed any issues with ethanol blend except that it was
stupidly implemented. Currently only two brands even sell it in my area
because it is more expensive than "plain" gasoline.

The ethanol blends CAN muck up the fuel lines, depending what
material they are made of. I replace mine with Tygothane. It can also
deteriorate diaphragms in carbs.

When my saw is not running on Aviation gas I use Shell Ultra - because
it is always ethanol free in Canada and has the octane required for
the hot little Remington.

Secret to buying ethanol free premium for small engine use - start the
pump and put a gallon or so in your car - then fill your can. This way
any regular left in the hose (assuming a mixer pump) goes in the car
tank. Shut off the pump and pay for the gas - then switch to regular
and put gas in your car. That way YOU get the premium that was left in
the hose in YOUR car - not the next guy.