Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Attic Insulation and/or Venting in the Southwest

HeyBub wrote:
Nova wrote:

For energy efficiency I would recommend more insulation above the
ceiling rafters.

Roof venting will lower the temperature in the attic crawl space but
the main advantage of proper roof venting is that it extends the life
of the roof. If you do vent the roof at the ridge you should also
add soffit venting at least equal in area to that of the ridge vent
for proper air flow. See:

http://www.roofhelp.com/ventilation_main.htm

Almost totally non-applicable to the OP:
* "Water vapor will condense..." Not in 0% relative humidity

I think people in Tucson still cook, take showers, etc. All produce
moisture that will rise until stopped by a vapor barrier, often the
roof. If there no venting...

* "Frost will form....." In Tuscon?

Although I didn't write the article I'll give you this one.

* "... problem of mildew..." Meh.

See cooking, showering above.

snip

--