Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT How can anyone take PETA seriousely?

Leon wrote:
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an
organization like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one
takes them seriously
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

I used to wonder as you do now. Then I read "The True Believer" by Eric
Hoffer.

Hoffer says people join mass movements to add meaning to their otherwise
meaningless lives, that people mind their own business when it's worth
minding; when it's not they take their mind off their own nothingness by
minding other people's business.

Other gems:
* A mass movement can exist without a god, but it will surely fail without a
devil. The movement must have something to hate. In this case, people who
kill flies (no one cares if flies die of natural causes - there's nobody to
hate).
* People join movements first, THEN adopt the putative goals of the group.
* Membership in mass movements is interchangeable. Whether Fascism,
ban-the-bra, down with nuclear power, or put modesty clothing on farm
animals, the memberships overlap significantly.

Now, when I see a march for democracy in Iran or gays carrying "freedom to
choose" banners, I merely shake my head.