Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:41:50 -0500, the infamous James Waldby
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 06:23:24 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:41:36 -0500, ... Ignoramus16095 [wrote]

I have Harbor Freight 5" 650 lbs casters on a homemade dolly that spends
most of its time outside, and is often used for moving heavy loads (up
to 1000 lbs). They perform very well and never give me trouble.

I swear by the HF 5-inchers, too, but I have never kept a kiloton on top
of a set and I don't know how they would stand up to it. My little wood
lathe has been on a set for at least 7 years, but that's less than 200
lbs. No degradation has been seen at that level of weight.

Ok, but a kiloton is 10000 times as heavy; for any ordinary casters,
I'd expect that load to immediately crush the casters or shear the
axles or both, and push the remains through the floor.

You forgot the facetiousity fudge factor, fella. Don't people
exaggerate in your neck of the woods, Jimmy boy? sigh
(shakes head, grinning)

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.