Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes

Charles U Farley wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:40aa1898-f849-45af-
:
Might I suggest metal wheels.

In my experience anything else will develop flat spots over time.

And over buy in terms of capacity...some toolboxes hold well over a
thousand pounds since metal items add up fast.

TMT

I'd go with polyurethane over steel. Like these
http://www.sunray-
inc.com/store/casters.asp No opinion on this particular vendor, just the
first link I found on the ype I was searching for.
IMHO polyurethane over steel is the best of both worlds. You get the
weight capacity and flat spot resistance of metal wheels. Ability to roll
over pebbles and other small trash that would make the metal only ones come
to a stop. And a heck of a lot less noisy to drive around.
700LB capacity on this 4x2 swivel is about the same capacity you'd find on
an all steel wheel of similar size.

I tossed out the stock casters and went with a custom solution on my
largest boxes. I started by making a cradle subframe (like an off road
style creeper) that would bolt under the box and has a solid axle on one
end and caster mounts on the other. The wheels themselves are 12"
pneumatics. Both ends also are wider than the box. In the front this
gives me a step that assists getting into that top tray, and in the rear
it keeps the box spaced away from the wall so that the lid and power
cords don't bind. The large tires make it VERY easy to move the box over
different surfaces. Cords and air lines don't really slow you down
either. Tires are rated for 1K each so I don't think I'll ever overload
them!!!

--
Steve W.