Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ethanol In Garden Tractors, Lawn Mowers

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

For current products. Many of us run products that are a decade or more
old.

And again, w/ the possible exception of seals or some plastics, it's
fine. The only problems would be with much older equipment that was
designed for leaded fuel which hasn't been available for almost 20 years.

I'm still running a JD 112 that is at least 40, a JD S92 that is at
least 30 so don't suspect you've got anything on me wrt the age of the
gear...

I have a 30+ Deere 110 riding mower, a Kubota B7100DT tractor, etc.

Well, if you're into the listing game, ( ) then there's the JD 955,
the JD 4440 and 4640, JLG 40H, w/o itemizing haying and harvesting
equipment, etc., ...

The point is to have fuel on hand to refuel the mower for the 3.5 hrs or
so it takes to mow the lawn, have fuel to keep the generator going
during power failures, and also reserve fuel for long trips.

If it's on hand for over a year, your capacity is too great is the point
and you've got much inventory aging that isn't doing anything useful.
Get the quantities on hand such that you're turning it over in a few
months at most.

And if it takes 3-1/2 hr to mow the lawn you need a larger mower or
better layout...or more goats. (Altho if I bag the lawn it can take
close to that w/ handling the clippings and if add in time for mowing
all the grounds around the outbuilings, corrals and feedlot and
equipment park areas it would be a couple days. Doesn't rain so much
here that have to do anything but the yard very often, thankfully.

We go thru couple thousand gal diesel/month during peak seasons of
planting/harvest. Gasoline consumption isn't near what diesel is, of
course, but still a 250 gal bulk tank doesn't make it through more than
3-4 months for the pickups and old trucks and so on so the little dabs
that the small engines use is the spillings, basically.

This fuel was generally well under a year as well, with the equipment
having been last fueled and run ~Oct and restarted in Mar or so.

Well, why did you go on about over a year then???

I just took an old B&S on a tiller that hadn't been touched for 10 years
and the gas left in that tank was not as some might have one believe,
gel nor were there any significant deposits, etc.
Probably had Sta-Bil or similar added then, since I've seen equipment
left a mere two years with nasty sour fuel in the tank.

I can definitely assert it did _NOT_ have anything at all done to it
other than load it on the truck when we moved it and unload it and put
it in the shed here when we arrived.

Prior to your acquiring it.

I bought it new and it has never been out of my possission, sorry...it
had been used the summer before we moved and parked as it was the last
time it was used in TN before returning to KS. Here the garden spot
was/is large enough I used the 5-ft tiller on the 955 and the 3-ft on
the old 112 and never bothered to get the little hand guy out until this
year I decided to see if the cultivator attachment might fit between the
rows. Turns out it did and in this sandy soil instead of the TN red
clay and rock and on flat ground instead of TN hillside it worked quite
nicely...

And of course the fuel left in the tank _was_ pretty nasty; I've never
said I'd not use fresh fuel in anything that was stagnant for over a
year for starting (altho it certainly would run quite unaffected to
simply fill the tank w/ fresh).