Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Ethanol In Garden Tractors, Lawn Mowers

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

For current products. Many of us run products that are a decade or more
old.

And again, w/ the possible exception of seals or some plastics, it's
fine. The only problems would be with much older equipment that was
designed for leaded fuel which hasn't been available for almost 20 years.

I'm still running a JD 112 that is at least 40, a JD S92 that is at
least 30 so don't suspect you've got anything on me wrt the age of the
gear...

I have a 30+ Deere 110 riding mower, a Kubota B7100DT tractor, etc.

There is also a difference between "run on" and operate reliably over
time with.

See above...

I've been storing fairly large quantities of gasoline for 1yr+ for years
and I can definitely tell you that Sta-Bil makes a huge difference. ...

I see no point in storing "large quantities" of any fuel for over a
year. I was speaking of simply over-wintering, etc., typically 6-8
months max and not large quantities. What's the point in that, anyway?

The point is to have fuel on hand to refuel the mower for the 3.5 hrs or
so it takes to mow the lawn, have fuel to keep the generator going
during power failures, and also reserve fuel for long trips.

I've routinely let equipment over-winter w/o any special treatment and
never in 40+ years had any issues the following year/spring/summer.

In 25+ years I've had a number of items with issues in the spring after
being stored over winters and in every case it was stored with untreated
fuel.

Sorry, I've had 15 years more and don't have problems--what can I tell
you other than I don't store fuel longer than a year.

This fuel was generally well under a year as well, with the equipment
having been last fueled and run ~Oct and restarted in Mar or so.

I just took an old B&S on a tiller that hadn't been touched for 10 years
and the gas left in that tank was not as some might have one believe,
gel nor were there any significant deposits, etc.

Probably had Sta-Bil or similar added then, since I've seen equipment
left a mere two years with nasty sour fuel in the tank.

I can definitely assert it did _NOT_ have anything at all done to it
other than load it on the truck when we moved it and unload it and put
it in the shed here when we arrived.

Prior to your acquiring it.

Not in my estimation nor experience.

All I can say is it has never been an issue I've ever seen over the
periods stated...

PS: An ultrasonic cleaner full of warm Simple Green works wonders for
reviving a carb that's gunked up.

If I ever see one, I'll give it a go...

Doubt it would have helped on the lead-salt deposits in the old mower I
mentioned elsewhere in the thread, however...

Someone gave me a pressure washer they couldn't start. I pulled the carb
off, gave it 10 min in the ultrasonic cleaner, blew it dry with
compressed air, reinstalled it and the engine started right up and has
run fine ever since.