Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ethanol In Garden Tractors, Lawn Mowers

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

Actually, for small engines 20 years is probably a little early for
specific ethanol compatibility; it was pretty standard by then for autos
but small engines tended to come along later. I remember the flap
roughly that time w/ the first ethanol and most specifically, it seemed,
w/ the Chrysler minivans that were all the newest rage at the time had
several incompatibilities.

Wouldn't those that did not require oil and gas mixture have come
along after ethanol was in large use and those most of those could
(should) be okay?

I'm having difficulty parsing this...

Those "that did not require oil and gas mixture" to me means 4-cycle
engines. There have been 4-cycle small engines around "since forever"
so they definitely were around well before ethanol became widespread. I
was thinking specifically of the first relatively short-lived ethanol
boom during the Carter-era shortages that affected passenger vehicles
but not, to the best of my recollection, small engines so much...