Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ethanol In Garden Tractors, Lawn Mowers

dpb wrote:
LouB wrote:
dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
LouB wrote:
Could that be why my gas golf cart stopped starting after I filled
the tank (it is ab old cart)?

Highly unlikely.

I don't think there's anything to back up the previous poster's
assertions.

Actually, if it is _really_ old, the possibility I raised earlier of
alcohol "working" on carb o-rings, gaskets, etc., could be an issue.
Just how old is "old"?

1987

I'd think that's on the cusp of probabilities. Possibly could find
info from either cart or engine manufacturer if it's a standard-issue
B&S or other common engine.

Did you check to make sure you've got spark, first, yet?

These other ideas always come not too long after the initial response...

The following is purely hypothesis; I've no factual basis other than the
recollection of an issue from ages gone by...

The other effect I can think of as an outside, remote possibility would
be whether an E10 blend could possibly dissolve previous varnish, etc.,
in an old engine and redeposit it throughout.

I had an incident years ago (like 35 or so, now) where I loaned a mower
to a neighbor who refilled it w/ white gas and used it for an hour or
so. The white gas did as described above and I ended up scrapping the
mower as the resulting film once the engine cooled seemed impervious to
any solvent including the white gas.

I'd not think that would happen w/ E10 or there would be thousands of
automobiles with serious problems but outside the aforementioned problem
w/ the rubber/plastic incompatibilities in the fuel system it's the only
thing regarding the ethanol itself I can come up with that would have to
do w/ the fuel itself.

Just a thought; as noted I think it highly unlikely...