Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Raccoons under the deck

on 6/16/2009 11:57 AM (ET) Bert Byfield wrote the following:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck,
we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about
letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may
destroy things. Any comments? Best way to get rid of them if
needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate
them. They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

The trap won't work if someone has already trapped them and relocated
them to your neighborhood, thus teaching them how traps work. I had a
trap and the raccoon reached underneath it and clawed the bait to bits
and let it drop out the bottom of the trap where he could get it
without going inside.

Raccoons are very intelligent and have articulate paws. I had a friend
that had a chicken coop with an enclosure, including the top. The
raccoons learned how to unhook the hasp and staple secured doors.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY