Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raccoons under the deck

Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we
see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them
hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

What's to destroy, they don't eat wood? Let 'em be. When the cubs are
grown it is likely that the whole lot will leave. In the meantime, maybe
put out a pan of water for them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we
see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them
hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

From another group last year:

PSYCHO RACCOONS RAMPAGE, RIOT, RAPE, AND KILL

Well, maybe not rape, but this Washington state masked gang HAS killed
almost a dozen cats and attacked both dogs and humans.

The pack is lead by "one really big, bad dude... a monster... They are in
command." The article reads like one has to step over the bodies littering
the area.

Various solutions have been tried: trapping, dogs, negotiation, trading
territory for peace. Nothing has worked. Strangely, no one in the article
has suggested using ol' double-barreled Betsy to blow their furry butts to
animal kingdom come. Possibly because all this mayhem is happening in
Olympia, [an anti-gun city].

[link no longer works]
http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs...0060821/NEWS/6...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 9:14�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we
see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them
hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

From another group last year:

PSYCHO RACCOONS RAMPAGE, RIOT, RAPE, AND KILL

Well, maybe not rape, but this Washington state masked gang HAS killed
almost a dozen cats and attacked both dogs and humans.

The pack is lead by "one really big, bad dude... a monster... They are in
command." The article reads like one has to step over the bodies littering
the area.

Various solutions have been tried: trapping, dogs, negotiation, trading
territory for peace. Nothing has worked. Strangely, no one in the article
has suggested using ol' double-barreled Betsy to blow their furry butts to
animal kingdom come. Possibly because all this mayhem is happening in
Olympia, [an anti-gun city].

[link no longer works]http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEWS/6...

ahh just leave them be.we have had them live around here, they tend to
move on after babies are grown.

just stay away from them and all will be fine.

keep small kids away
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

There was a whole colony of them that visited the cherry tree and
raspberry bushes in neighbor's yard, just after dusk. I would leave a
snack about that time, watch for them, and close it up when they are
out. They are very crafty, as you probably know, and can open trash
cans, coolers, campers, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate them.
They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or bird feeder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And the people in your destination will trap them and bring
them back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and
relocate them.
They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate them.
They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or bird feeder.

Bird feeders are way out of the way along the tree line, don't want
bird doodoo on the deck if at all possible. I put a couple of heavy
things on the top of the garbage bins which are supposed to be critter
resistant any way. The pups look to be fairly big, so it appears that
they have been hanging around there for awhile w/o us even knowing.

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
out it was volume 6 of the *Encyclopedia Britanica*!"
-Martin Mull
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:09*am, "
wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

There was a whole colony of them that visited the cherry tree and
raspberry bushes in neighbor's yard, just after dusk. *I would leave a
snack about that time, watch for them, and close it up when they are
out. *They are very crafty, as you probably know, and can open trash
cans, coolers, campers, etc.

They are very crafty, as you probably know, and can open ...
campers, etc.

Dateline: Big Forest State Park, 6/15/2009

Three campers were found dead on Saturday morning, apparently opened
by raccoons. Robert and Susan Bathwhite, along with Robert's brother
Steve, were discovered by park rangers in their tents after they
failed to show up at the free pancake breakfast held by the camp
staff. "Everyone knows how much Robert and Steve love their pancakes,"
said veteran ranger Tom "Woodsy" McPherson, "and when they didn't show
up this morning, we became very worried."

All three campers had gaping holes in their chests, although it
appears at this time that all of their organs were intact. Ranger
McPherson went on to say "We've had a rash of these occurrences
lately. It seems that the raccoons have progressed from opening
coolers and trash cans to opening campers. Apparently human organs are
not to their liking, so they simply leave the camper open and walk
away."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:59*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

--
*"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
out it was volume 6 of the *Encyclopedia Britanica*!"
-Martin Mull

I never gave raccoons much thought until one night I heard something
in our ceiling and went outside the next day to find they had dug out
two large holes in the roof. It cost me a couple of hundred bucks to
fix that. Raccoons can be very destructive in the right situation.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Bird feeders are way out of the way along the tree line, don't want
bird doodoo on the deck if at all possible. I put a couple of heavy
things on the top of the garbage bins which are supposed to be critter
resistant any way. The pups look to be fairly big, so it appears that
they have been hanging around there for awhile w/o us even knowing.

They are eating SOMETHING!

Perhaps you have a crawfish infestation under your porch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: Raccoons cause of house destruction

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we
see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them
hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

--------
"Tomchak came home to find rugs torn up, walls ripped down, electricity cut,
trees chopped, and nobody taking responsibility....Tomchak says the
demolition of the home was supposed to be even worse, including one scene
where a ... chainsaw ..."

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....7ea2fb02.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate them.
They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or bird feeder.

I saw a clip on America's Funniest Video where a raccoon stuck it's head
inside a pet door,snagged a throw rug lying in front of the pet door,and
hauled it out the pet door(with some effort).
It had stolen a couple of their throw rugs,that's why they set up the
camera.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 5:13�pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Frank wrote :

Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

We have 2 doggie doors, and never a intruder.

Racoons avoid yappy dogs
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Frank wrote in
:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate them.
They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or bird feeder.

I saw a clip on America's Funniest Video where a raccoon stuck it's head
inside a pet door,snagged a throw rug lying in front of the pet door,and
hauled it out the pet door(with some effort).
It had stolen a couple of their throw rugs,that's why they set up the
camera.

Almost forgot I had this:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

It's been several years now.

Neighbor had a pet door for his cats and his son came into the kitchen
one morning to see a raccoon eating the cats food.

Couple of years ago I thought they were getting my garbage so I put out
trap and caught a momma skunk. She had 4 kids and they would not leave
and were jumping around the trap. I managed to get the trap open and
let her out without getting sprayed. If I had thought about it, I could
have videotaped it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

evidently so do mountain lions

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...0,224308.story

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:38:33 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

We have 2 doggie doors, and never a intruder.

Watch out Florida!

"The Nile monitor lizard is large, adults can grow up to 7 feet in
length and 5 footers are common.

A vicious predator that will eat anything it can fit into its mouth,
it is also notoriously ill tempered.

Native to Africa, the Nile monitor has successfully established a new
home in Florida, U.S.A., thanks to the untiring efforts of a coalition
of Florida pet stores, reptile importers, local pet owners, liberal
State legislators, regional land developers in the Cape Coral area and
Florida animal rights groups."

http://www.squidoo.com/floridamonitorlizards

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have 2 doggie doors, and never a intruder.

Watch out Florida!

"The Nile monitor lizard is large, adults can grow up to 7 feet in
length and 5 footers are common.

A vicious predator that will eat anything it can fit into its mouth,
it is also notoriously ill tempered.

Native to Africa, the Nile monitor has successfully established a new
home in Florida, U.S.A., thanks to the untiring efforts of a coalition
of Florida pet stores, reptile importers, local pet owners, liberal
State legislators, regional land developers in the Cape Coral area and
Florida animal rights groups."

http://www.squidoo.com/floridamonitorlizards

Damn, we have enough trouble with things native to African.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 5:59*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

--
*"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
out it was volume 6 of the *Encyclopedia Britanica*!"
-Martin Mull

Raccoons carry some _nasty_ parasites that you do not want to become
familiar with. They are in their feces.

Trap 'em or repel them with ammonia or lights. Make sure there is no
water or pet food out where they can get to it. Plunk 'em if need be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Jun 15, 5:59 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see
the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang
out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy things. Any
comments? Best way to get rid of them if needed?

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
out it was volume 6 of the *Encyclopedia Britanica*!"
-Martin Mull

Raccoons carry some _nasty_ parasites that you do not want to become
familiar with. They are in their feces.

Trap 'em or repel them with ammonia or lights. Make sure there is no
water or pet food out where they can get to it. Plunk 'em if need be.

There is also the warning that racoons are bearers of rabies.
They are not welcome guests.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Charlie" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

They're welcome around my house. Always have been, always will be.
Skunks and 'possums too. I love all the critters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

They're welcome around my house. Always have been, always will be.
Skunks and 'possums too. I love all the critters.

I've never met a critter I didn't like ) My daughter, in
Indianapolis, saw a coyote strolling down the street recently. At one
house in Florida, I had burrowing owls, 'coons, possum, fox, gopher
tortoise, occ. snake. Possum and 'coons used to come to the screened
porch and stand up to look in at night when the light was on ...for some
reason, possum walking through the grass sounded exactly like a person
walking, which was kind of spooky at night. Nice to have visitors )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:05�am, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
clipped

They're welcome around my house. Always have been, always will be.
Skunks and 'possums too. I love all the critters.

I've never met a critter I didn't like ) �My daughter, in
Indianapolis, saw a coyote strolling down the street recently. �At one
house in Florida, I had burrowing owls, 'coons, possum, fox, gopher
tortoise, occ. snake. �Possum and 'coons used to come to the screened
porch and stand up to look in at night when the light was on ...for some
reason, possum walking through the grass sounded exactly like a person
walking, which was kind of spooky at night. �Nice to have visitors )

The small woodland creatures seem to like my backyard, in this
semi-rural subdivision lot that backs up to a half-vacant graveyard. Had
an enjoyable half-hour yesterday, watching a woodchuck (I think) on my
deck, harvesting the tops of the volunteer saplings coming up in the
garden bed, before he returned to ground level to pull each shoot over
in turn, to bite off the lower leaves. I see turkeys almost every day.
Raccoons, birds, deer, bunnies, dozens of squirrels, you get the idea.
All I can figure is that since I don't use lawn chemicals, my yard
tastes better than the neighbors. Remember the old CCR song, 'Looking
out my back door'? I have the happy creatures dancing on the lawn....

--
aem sends...

Yeah some people klook for ANY opportunity to kill anything..........

Very sad I love wildlife

I have 20 or so bird houses on my home / shed. Nearly all get used
yearly

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

clipped

They're welcome around my house. Always have been, always will be.
Skunks and 'possums too. I love all the critters.

I've never met a critter I didn't like ) My daughter, in
Indianapolis, saw a coyote strolling down the street recently.

She live in a Northern Suburb? We have a couple in our area, too. A
family of about 5-6 deer wander through a couple times a month. And
there are too many squirrels and chipmunks to count. Did I mention the
11 birds nests?

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
out it was volume 6 of the *Encyclopedia Britanica*!"
-Martin Mull
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:05*am, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
clipped

[...]

That's the difference between you and I.

You see the graveyard as half vacant, while I see it as half full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck,
we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about
letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may
destroy things. Any comments? Best way to get rid of them if
needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate
them. They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

The trap won't work if someone has already trapped them and relocated
them to your neighborhood, thus teaching them how traps work. I had a
trap and the raccoon reached underneath it and clawed the bait to bits
and let it drop out the bottom of the trap where he could get it
without going inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:04*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:57:31 -0500, Bert Byfield

wrote:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck,
we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about
letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may
destroy things. Any comments? Best way to get rid of them if
needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate
them. They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

The trap won't work if someone has already trapped them and relocated
them to your neighborhood, thus teaching them how traps work. I had a
trap and the raccoon reached underneath it and clawed the bait to bits
and let it drop out the bottom of the trap where he could get it
without going inside.

Trapping and relocating wild animals without a license is against the
law in many places.- Hide quoted text -

How do you know if the animal has a license or not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"lot that backs up to a half-vacant graveyard"

That's the difference between you and I.

You see the graveyard as half vacant, while I see it as half full.

Others see it as too big.

Some see it as an opportunity.

Teen-agers see it as a place to park and make out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trapping and relocating wild animals without a license is against
the law in many places.

Did not know the law at the time. I had actually released a
trapped squirrel in the park in the presence of a county cop in
the county substation near the park and he said nothing. Later I
read in the paper that you can trap and kill an animal but not
release it elsewhere. Kinda stupid isn't it?

No. An animal that has been trapped might learn from the experience to
stay out of traps in the future. A killed animal does not present the
same problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 3:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"lot that backs up to a half-vacant graveyard"

That's the difference between you and I.

You see the graveyard as half vacant, while I see it as half full.

1 Others see it as too big.

2 Some see it as an opportunity.

3 Teen-agers see it as a place to park and make out.

Isn't 2 just one of many subsets of 3?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/16/2009 11:57 AM (ET) Bert Byfield wrote the following:
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck,
we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about
letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may
destroy things. Any comments? Best way to get rid of them if
needed?

I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate
them. They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

The trap won't work if someone has already trapped them and relocated
them to your neighborhood, thus teaching them how traps work. I had a
trap and the raccoon reached underneath it and clawed the bait to bits
and let it drop out the bottom of the trap where he could get it
without going inside.

Raccoons are very intelligent and have articulate paws. I had a friend
that had a chicken coop with an enclosure, including the top. The
raccoons learned how to unhook the hasp and staple secured doors.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

not really, if you're spreading any kind of disease that the animal might
have had, sorta like moving the h1n1 virus around the globe might be not a
good idea.

Then no one should be allowed to move.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:03:08 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Raccoons are very intelligent and have articulate paws. I had a friend
that had a chicken coop with an enclosure, including the top. The
raccoons learned how to unhook the hasp and staple secured doors.

_Baby Raccoons Get Stuck in Vending Machine_

With pic:

..."Residents were shocked by the sight and tried to coax the masked
critters out of the machine, but needed some expert help.

So they called a local resident known for helping get animals out of
sticky situations.

They so called "Skunk Whisperer", Ned Bruha, who came to the rescue.."

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,7478197.story
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Did not know the law at the time. I had actually released a trapped
squirrel in the park in the presence of a county cop in the county
substation near the park and he said nothing. Later I read in the
paper that you can trap and kill an animal but not release it
elsewhere. Kinda stupid isn't it?

Fine print: Squirrels are game animals and, if taken out of season (usually
around February), you could be in big trouble.

This works to your advantage if squirrels get in your attic and gnaw up your
wiring. Most insurance won't cover damage due to vermin, but since you can't
kill squirrels...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
"lot that backs up to a half-vacant graveyard"

That's the difference between you and I.

You see the graveyard as half vacant, while I see it as half full.

Others see it as too big.

Some see it as an opportunity.

Teen-agers see it as a place to park and make out.

I'm lucky- there are no access roads from the main graveyard down into
the wooded area behind my house. As badly as it is apparently managed, I
don't think the 'back 40' will EVER get used. In fact, the back 75-100
feet (I can't remember) of my yard technically belongs to them- a couple
of years before a bought the place, Previous Owner and 4 neighbors got a
free 30-year easement stripe from them. A couple people even put up pole
barns on the easement, which technically isn't allowed, but the
graveyard owners didn't raise a fuss. I guess they figure that when
easement runs out, they have a free shed. I'll be gone, one way or the
other, before easement runs out, so I will leave it to next owner to
worry about a rollover.

Only grief I have is, right before I moved in, the graveyard went and
put up an ugly six-foot chain link fence, 4 lots long plus an ell coming
up the side of my lot, on the back edge of the easement. It makes it
harder for the deer to get in my yard, and means I can't wander through
the woods from my back yard. So me and the neighbors chuck our deadfall
branches over the fence now, instead of burning them. (Most of them are
off trees in the easement, so they do belong to them....)

--
aem sends...