Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Raccoons under the deck

wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:57:31 -0500, Bert Byfield
wrote:

Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck,
we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about
letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may
destroy things. Any comments? Best way to get rid of them if
needed?
I'd get a Hav-a-hart trap, their largest, and trap and relocate
them. They will at least be a pain trying to get in your trash or
bird feeder.

The trap won't work if someone has already trapped them and relocated
them to your neighborhood, thus teaching them how traps work. I had a
trap and the raccoon reached underneath it and clawed the bait to bits
and let it drop out the bottom of the trap where he could get it
without going inside.

Trapping and relocating wild animals without a license is against the
law in many places.

Did not know the law at the time. I had actually released a trapped
squirrel in the park in the presence of a county cop in the county
substation near the park and he said nothing. Later I read in the paper
that you can trap and kill an animal but not release it elsewhere.
Kinda stupid isn't it?