Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 06:23:24 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:41:36 -0500, ... Ignoramus16095 [wrote]

I have Harbor Freight 5" 650 lbs casters on a homemade dolly that spends
most of its time outside, and is often used for moving heavy loads (up
to 1000 lbs). They perform very well and never give me trouble.

I swear by the HF 5-inchers, too, but I have never kept a kiloton on top
of a set and I don't know how they would stand up to it. My little wood
lathe has been on a set for at least 7 years, but that's less than 200
lbs. No degradation has been seen at that level of weight.

Ok, but a kiloton is 10000 times as heavy; for any ordinary casters,
I'd expect that load to immediately crush the casters or shear the
axles or both, and push the remains through the floor.

I remember meeting a very nice guy at Westek eons ago. Now what was that
caster company name...? Ah, Darnell-Rose. See http://www.casters.com/

--
jiw