Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Chrome copper water pipe?

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 16 June, 11:18, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.

Silver solder looks nice, but it's pricey and really only for
decorative use, not mundane plumbing.

But IMO a pain in the arse because of the work you have to do cleaning
off firestain afterwards and there's the work you have to do "tinning"
the bits you scraped the chrome off or you get green/brown bands at each
fitting.

I've just brazed up a toy kid's pushchair for my mumblechild who
thought that getting her brother to jump into it was a good idea, and
then got upset because her doll kept falling out of it because the frame
was broken. I used nickel/silver for that, nice colour and all that but
now I have to repaint the entire frame after grinding the joints smooth
because of the 1in band of firestained tube at each brazed joint.

I'd hate to have to do that on more than a couple of joints.